|Coleman Air C150-SMA Controller
Click on image for full size
150A 12/24/48V Wind/Solar - PWM Charge Controller with V/A Meter
Wind/Solar Solid-State PWM Solar/Wind Charge Controller.
150 Amp 12, 24 or 48 volts.
High contrast LED dual volt/amp meters with on/off switch.
Built in D/C Breakers. Designed for both wind and solar.
8 x 12 Hoffman Box.
Reverse polarity, over-voltage, over-current protected.
Now retrofitted with larger external heat dissipation.
Click here to download the manual
Three Phase turbine wiring diagram
150 Amp - Solid State PWM Charge Controller
With Two High contrast Meters (both Volts and Amps)
Two D/C breakers/disconnects.
Works directly with 12, 24 and 48 volt systems
This solid-state (no relays or solenoids) charge controller has been specifically designed for large to medium sized solar or turbine, battery based alternate energy systems of up to 150 amps (100 amps for diversion mode). With thousands of hours of R&D, this controller solves many of the issues currently unaddressed in most if not all other charge controllers. One of the most prevalent problems has been, how to handle more than 60 amps of solar power without using multiple controllers. Most charge controllers on the market use one or two power mosfets, generally limiting their current capabilities to a range of 40-60 amps. The Coleman Air C150-SMA uses six high-power (230 amps each), in a back-to-back, parallel configuration, allowing a significant increase in total current handling capability. Our in house testing has shown that this controller can handle surges of 12,500 watts! We are unaware of any other solid-state charge controller that can come close to this level of power handling. Simply stated, this is the largest PWM solar battery charge controller available.
Use this controller to regulate and prevent battery overcharge in:
- Solar Systems
- Wind Systems
- Hydro Systems
Some of the key featuresof this controller are:
- Microprocessor controlled -- This is very important for both stability and functionality.
- Solid-State. No relays or solenoids to wear out.
- PWM (pulse width modulation) charging.(Charges using pulses of varying lengths)
- Three stage charging for better battery life.
- Both manual and automatic (30 day) equalize function.
- User changeable settings -- Several controllers on the market set the voltage levels, and that's that!
- High amp rating – 150 amps solar mode, 100 amps diversion mode.
- Over-current, over-voltage and overheat protection.
- Multiple system voltage settings – Easy to set jumper allows use on 12, 24 or 48 volt systems.
- High Contrast LED battery voltage and amperage meters.
- On/Off switch for the meters to allow extremely low idle current.
- Battery and charge status LEDs- Several controllers do not tell you what's going on - This one does!
- Push to test. - Ever wonder if your controller & load are working OK?
- Reverse polarity protected – This unit will not be damaged if you inadvertently reverse the inputs.
- Steel enclosure - with multiple conduit openings and cooling vents
- Large terminals - that can actually terminate large wire, with lugs that accept up to #2 wire.
- Extended diversion mode (EDM.)
- Works as either a solar charge controller (series), or a diversion controller for wind/hydro systems. The controller will automatically sense the appropriate mode.
- Passive cooling systems uses aluminum cooling pipes that run the length of the unit for continuous cooling of the entire unit allowing for proper operation at high power levels.
- Two internal 150-amp breakers with manual reset/disconnect.
- No blocking diodes are required for solar. The back-to-back mosfets prevent reverse leakage.
- A PWM controller that adapts its pulse logic to perfectly accommodate wind systems.
- The Largest PWM controller available, and at a price per watt that can easily be justified.
Note: Continuous power handling will be reduced in hot climates or installations.
The micro processor is the heart of the controller. The battery level is constantly checked by the microprocessor and compared to the active mode’s (Float, Bulk or Equalize) set point to determine how much (if any) current should flow into or out of the batteries. As the battery’s level of charge increases, so does the voltage of the battery (the battery’s level of charge can be determined by the voltage of the battery.) As the charge level increases the controller may use very short pulses of energy to “top off” or maintain the charge at the optimum level. These pulses of energy will be of varying lengths as required. This charging algorithm is referred to as pulse width modulation (or PWM), and when properly controlled, offers a very suitable method of charging deep cycle batteries to ensure good battery health and longevity.
Settings are of course user changeable! By simply turning the set point potentiometers with a small screwdriver, you can quickly adjust the trip point for the float or bulk mode. (Equalize mode is about 7% higher then the bulk mode).
Six very powerful 230A mosfets are wired into three pairs (of two) to insure plenty of reserve capacity above the rated 150 amps this controller has been designed to handle. The mosfets are arranged in such a manner that they can handle currents in either direction; that is, they can perform in the capacity of a solar charge controller or a diversion mode controller. The controller automatically determines the proper mode of operation. If the controller senses that there is voltage on the “Solar/Diversion” terminal then it assumes that the controller has been wired as for the solar mode. If there is no voltage present on this terminal, then the diversion mode will instead be chosen. This terminal is checked often by the microprocessor to insure the controller selects the proper mode. If no connection has been made to the “Solar/Diversion” terminals, then the mode may be either.
The enclosure is heavy gauge, solid steel, ready to mount. -- No plastic, no junk, simple and rugged.
This Hoffman pull box is perfect for terminating larger wire. It has multiple knockouts on each side of the box. The box measures 8.25" x 12". The electronics are fully isolated from the box.
When you compare this controller to the others, you will see why we built it and why we know you'll love it.
A quality built controller, no skimping on parts, insuring the best fit for the most demanding solar installations, ready to go work!
Note: The hookup drawings below display an older model C150-SMA; however the hookups remain the same.
Ready to go. built to last, right here in the USA.
Click here to download the C150-SMA Charge Controller Manual.
It would take nearly four C40 solar charge controllers to equal this one controller, 2-1/2, C60 solar controllers and nearly 2, C80 charge controllers. Compare the price saving and extra cost of wiring all of these charge controllers. In addition, the Coleman Air C150 (SMA) PWM charge controller has both volt and amp meters, dual disconnects with built in breakers, test, auto equalize, 3 stage charge battery charging. Super convenient, super powerful (high amperage, high voltage charge controller), all in a ready to go package. A PWM controller, built here in the USA (Check out where the big name C40, C60 etc. controllers are built -- Do your homework, they are not built here!).
More to come:
Put us on your watch list, we are currently working on a series of new products specifically for the solar/wind market.
Big things are happening from a lot of little companies, and if you notice the truly innovate products are being released from the new kids on the block.
Click here to view our frequently asked questions. (FAQ)
Solar Charge Controller. PV Charge Controller. Battery Charge Controller. PWM charge controller. Solar panel charge controller. High amp charge controller. High current charge controller. Photovoltaic charge controller. Series charge controller. Bulk, Adsorption. float 3 stage charge controller. Compare to Xantrex (tm), Outback (tm), Sunny Boy (tm), Morning Star (tm), Sunforce, Steca, C40, C60, C80
Click here to download the manual